Tuesday, May 10, 2011

TRIBUTE TO SWEETIE


Here is a picture of the greatest horse that has ever been in my life.  A week ago Thursday I had to put this great horse out to pasture and by that I mean I had to put her to sleep.

Her name was Sweetie and she was 35 years old, but she lived a happy, long life with me.  I know that she is no longer in pain.  She is up there running free in lush green pastures and I know that she is feeling young again and so for that I am very happy and very blessed to have had her in my life.  I am sure there will be other horses, but never one like her.  I don't know how bad a mood I was in, I could always tell her all my problems and all my troubles and she was there to listen to me through it all.  I know that she will be missed.  Not a day goes by that I don't miss her, but all good cowboys know that this day will come in their life.   They say what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

In all my years of working with horses, I never even dreamed that I would have one to make the connection with me that she made.  They say an animal's eyes are a window to its soul.  So I know from first hand experience, Sweetie had a heart to go with her personality and I saw it every day.  For the people that don't know how she interacted with me it was a blessing and a miracle.  What is so special about her is that she didn't care that I was in a wheelchair.  She looked beyond the chair and looked at me for the person that I am and when it comes down to it, there is not many horses or people that will do that.

6 comments:

  1. Randy,
    I'm sorry to hear that Sweetie passed. I know how special she was to you and how much you all taught each other. You'll have the pictures and memories to cherish forever. I know it was a great blessing that you all found each other. Keep your head up cowboy.
    DeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy,
    I am so sorry to hear that sweetie has passed on. I know in my heart that she loved you just as much as you loved her. Just remember that she is happily galloping in the fields of heaven and looking down on you as she does. Stay strong, cowboy! She wouldn't want you to be sad for long. My prayers are being sent up for you as i write this... you will get through this!
    - Tara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Randy
    Christy Fellers wanted to post the following comment, but was having trouble getting it to work so she asked me to post it for you. ~Jil

    Here is Christy's message:
    Randy,
    Tearfully I ready your tribute to sweetie. I do know how special she was to you, and you to her as well. It is true that the bond between a cowboy and his horse is unbreakable. Your bond is not broken, just separated by a divine distance that can be transcended by prayer and memories. I am sure there are horses in Heaven, and one day you and Sweetie will ride together again :). Dig your spurs in, hold your head high, and cherish those special times you spent together.
    Love and prayers,
    Christy F.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Randy
    Here is message from Jessica. She was having trouble posting to the blog as well. ~Jil

    Randy,
    I am so sorry to hear about Sweetie. She was a great horse! I learned a lot from you and from Sweetie. I am glad I got the opportunity to meet and learn from her.
    Thoughts and prayers are with you in this difficult time.
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Randy- I just heard the sad news about Sweetie. I am so sad for you. I have always thought that she looked as good for her age as she did for two reasons. The first, you took such great care of her. The second, she had something she loved that was worth living for, and that was you. Not many people know what it is like to connect with a horse, which is the most noble of animals. You are very blessed to have had that with Sweetie. Much love and sympathy, Christy Shivell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Randy,

    I am very sorry for your loss. Sweetie will be very missed. She was a beautiful horse and an inspiration to everyone who had the privilege to meet her. The thoughts and prayers of my family go out to you and we hope that you know that you have the support of friends everywhere during this time.

    David Townsend

    ReplyDelete